Amherst Island is truly a gem in Loyalist Township
If you’re a nature lover, a history buff or just want to spend some time exploring something completely unique, this island is a great place to visit. Settled by Irish immigrants in the 1800’s you’ll see the legacy left behind by the abundance of dry stone walls as you travel the country roads.
- Birding – Amherst Island is known internationally as a great place for birding, specifically to see large groups of wintering owls and raptors. Visit our Birding page to learn more and see the best birding hotspots.
- Stone Wallers – Take a self-guided tour and see the historic dry stone walls on Amherst Island. With the largest known collection of them in Canada, you won’t have any trouble spotting them as you drive through the island.
- Topsy Farms – Release your inner hippie and come visit the happy sheep on this inviting farm! While here there’s plenty to do, including: hiking, workshops, or visit the wool shed for some pretty unique products.
- Scuba Diving – With a number of shipwrecks and ideal diving conditions, Amherst Island is a paradise for divers. In fact, the area south of the island is known as the Amherst Island Graveyard because of its many wrecks.
- Sand Beach Wetlands Conservation Area – For beautiful lakeside views head to the scenic shoreline of Sand Beach Wetlands. This 54-acre conservation area is a protected and unspoiled series of lush wetlands and natural sand beaches.
- Neilson Store Museum – Once a general store, the Neilson Store Museum is now a trip back in time. This is a great place to learn more about the island and it’s first settlers in 1789 and see many artifacts from that period. You can also stop at the Weasel and Easel Fine Arts and Craft Store, housed in the museum.
- The Back Kitchen – This unique eatery is entirely run by volunteers and is a not-for-profit restaurant. They support local growers to serve up some pretty tasty dishes.
- Fishing – The waters in Lake Ontario are a wonderful place to fish for Bass, Musky, Pike, and Walleye. We also have world class Salmon and Trout fishing in the waters around Amherst Island.
Amherst Island Ferry Service
Reasons to Live on Amherst Island in Loyalist Township
Amherst Island in Loyalist Township is a great place to live. Here are some of the reasons why residents enjoy living here.
- Lower housing costs
- Reasonable cost of living
- Low crime rate
- Great location
- Access to health care
Plan Your Visit
Plan a Move Here
Stay in the know! Sign up for our newsletter.