This little town has a whole lot to offer
Back in the early days, Tamworth was a hub of activity with three trains traveling to Napanee each day. There were factories and farming as well as mills operating here. Today, the landscape is a mixture of farms, homes and cottages. Beaver Lake flows into the Salmon River which runs through Tamworth, ensuring that lake life is a way of life here.
- Tamworth received its name in 1848, the same year of the great potato famine in Ireland.
- Puzzle Lake Provincial Park – Head approximately 12 km’s north of Tamworth to arrive at Puzzle Lake Provincial Park and enjoy the natural beauty. This is a great place for hiking, paddling, fishing and birding.
- The Bee Spot – Suit up and learn what it’s like to be a beekeeper at this fun apiary. You can also bring home some delicious honey produced on site.
- Salmon River Sugar Bush – This family-run sugar bush in Tamworth, Ontario produces high quality, 100% pure maple products, boiled over a traditional, wood-fired evaporator.
- Cunningham Memorial Park – Go for a little stroll in this inviting park which includes a charming gazebo. Located on the north-west corner of Ottawa and Wheeler Street in Tamworth.
- Sheffield Conservation Area – This is a great spot for birding, hiking, paddling and fishing. When the sun sets, the night sky is breathtaking from this area.
- First North American Gaeltacht – Stone Mills has been privileged as the location of the first Gaeltacht outside of Ireland, and is situated on Gilmore Road in Tamworth. A Gaeltacht is defined by the Gaeltacht authority in Ireland as “A place where the Irish language is spoken as a community language and its culture and traditions are very much alive and thriving”. The site consists of 60 acres and is located along the Salmon River.
L&A County – Dark Sky Viewing Area
Reasons to Live in Tamworth in Stone Mills
Tamworth in Stones Mills is a great place to live. Here are some of the reasons why residents enjoy living here.
- Lower housing costs
- Reasonable cost of living
- Low crime rate
- Great location
- Access to health care
Plan Your Visit
Plan a Move Here
Stay in the know! Sign up for our newsletter.