The house built by hand
Love early Canadian architecture? Fairfield House, one of several wood frame structures from the Loyalist era, was built in 1793 by New England Loyalist William Fairfield to strongly reflect his New England background.
Fairfield House was named by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada as one of the 250 best examples of Canadian Architecture over the last 1,000 years. Now the property of Loyalist Township, the Fairfield Homestead Heritage Association promotes the preservation of the house and provides guided tours and heritage programming
- Loyalists were people who had shown loyalty to the Crown by coming north into Canada
- The farmhouse was the heart of this growing farm
- Guided tours available
Go back to a time of great importance to Canada.
Learn about William and Abigail Fairfield
William and Abigail Fairfield were farming in Pawlet, Vermont before moving to Canada in 1778. This move was made to avoid re-arrest for refusing to serve in the rebel army or to sign allegiance to the rebellion. A year later, Abigail Fairfield with their seven children left the Vermont farm and joined three other Loyalist wives with fifteen more children to travel north to the British line. They were in Canada for many years before they settled in Cataraqui Township No. 2 (now known as Amherstview) in 1784. By 1793, the Fairfields had built the farmhouse that would be resided in by family for the next 180 years.
- Eastern Ontario’s best preserved 18th century dwelling
- Many of its original feature are still intact
- The nearby park is great for picnicking
Stay in the know! Sign up for our newsletter.